Practicing Being Better

6:14 AM


With every new year comes New Year’s resolutions.  I always love this time of year.  It’s nice to feel as though you have had a fresh start, a new beginning every once and a while, and this time of the year provides just that.  No matter how crappy your last year was, most people are excited and look forward to the new year for bigger and better things for themselves. 

I am no exception to this generality. 

Thinking about my resolutions though, I feel as though I want to hang myself I have a lot of things to work on.  I want to be better, but somehow I slip back into my old ways and I’m back at square one making the same resolutions I have been for the last 5 years. 

So what makes me think I can change now? 

Most people, when they write their resolutions, want to change.  Why would they go to all this trouble to think about them if they weren’t going to do it, right?!  Well, I know I have every intention of trying to keep my resolutions right NOW, but tonight when I want to watch an episode of Castle instead of studying my scriptures, we will see how badly I want to change. 

I think we all have good intentions, but it is a challenge to change our ways and be better.  It is a process and one that takes time and patience.  I have decided to give myself a break and be realistic about by resolutions.  I know I won't be perfect at all of them, but instead I will practice them.  Try to practice everyday at one or a few of them and not be so hard on myself about whether or not I have perfected them by next December.   

Below is my list of resolutions and I am keeping them where I can see them everyday.  My planner, my car, sticky notes on my computer…anywhere I am frequenting I will place friendly reminders of my good intentions.   And when I forget or am slacking, as I inevitably will, I will try to be better and just keep going.  Practice makes perfect and I will be practicing my resolutions all year long.

Here goes… 

    1.  Really study and ponder the scriptures.  Not just read them.  Set aside time to study and not make excuses.  

   2. Simplify, de-clutter and organize our lives.

    3. Read more good and wholesome books.  Not LDS romance books.  Those are fine and good, but I want to read more medical books and especially start reading the biographies of the prophets of the church.  Things that will inspire, uplift and challenge me.

    4. Be present.  I don’t want to be in the moment and be thinking of the 17 other things I have to do today.  I want to enjoy what is happening as it happens!

    5. Start dancing again.  Ballet especially.  That is my passion and I have put it off for too long.

    6. Make more memories.  Instead of watching a movie with friends or family I want to play games, eat yummy dinners and do things outside of the box.  I have so many more memories of friends when we are doing something, not just glued in front of the TV.  An occasional movie or show is of course welcome, I just want to mix it up a little more.

    7. Put my phone/laptop/kindle away when I am around anything with more than 3 brain cells.

    8. Try more things that scare me.  I don’t mean bungee jumping or climbing a mountain, I mean things I know I should do, but instead I choose to stay home because that is the safe option.  Like going alone to that new gym class even though I am sure I will make a fool of myself, sing in front of people, or finally go back to school.  Things I know I should do for myself, but I am just too scared.

    9. Continue to challenge myself in the kitchen.  I love to cook and I want to try new things and perfect my craft.

    10.  Learn how to sew.   And by sew, I mean learn how to work a sewing machine.  I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I have every intention of sewing drapes, pillows and maybe even a skirt or two.  I never took Home Economics in high school so I’m sure I am going to loose a finger this will be challenging.

    11. Save money.  That means less impulse buys and more penny pinching.

    12. Be a more attentive, kind and loving wife.  Ryan deserves that…everyone knows it J



Feeling pumped and excited for the new year and ready to practice being a better, well-rounded woman.  Bring it 2013.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

I'm a Mormon.

Flickr Images