Gratitude

12:33 PM

I have a lot of catching up to do in regards to blogging, but I find myself not wanting to talk about Thanksgiving, Christmas or the fact that we moved.  

When I was a beehive I had a sweet teacher, Sister Quimby.  I thought she was inspiring.  She came every week prepared with a thoughtful lesson and gave each of us girls a beautiful journal that was our very own.  At the end of each lesson we would write in them.

  They were our gratitude journals.  

We could really write whatever we wanted, but we had to at least write 5 things we were grateful for that week.  I still have that journal.  And I blame Sister Quimby for my addiction to buying beautiful journals, even when the one I am currently writing in isn't even full.  I have journals all over the house.  And actually I have 4 on my nightstand.  Two of which are still empty.  

I have a problem, I know.

But lately I've had a grey cloud over my head.  Nothing major, just feeling a little blue.  So I guess it is more of a blue cloud...anyway...it is probably because I am not running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the first time in a long time.  I really don't know how to relax.  So I find myself contemplating many things with my free time and gratitude was one of them.  Here is what I've been thinking of lately:


I don't have a dishwasher in our new place.  I know...I have granite countertops but no dishwasher?!  But I am grateful I have two able hands that can stand the heat of the scalding water and wash the beautiful dishes Ryan and I have accumulated over the course of our marriage.

I have been doing laundry for weeks trying to wash all of the towels, blankets and quilts that we wrapped our life in to move.  It is a daunting task, but I was thinking how lucky we were to have things to keep us warm and that I have a washer and dryer in our place to keep us clean and our clothes dry.

Ryan and I have been doing and re-doing our budget to see where we stand financially.  After careful calculations we still aren't where we would like to be.  (Is anyone in this economy?!)  I am still waiting for the money tree to grow in our backyard because I'm pretty sure that is what is suppose to grow after we get out of college and get a real job right?!  But since there is no money tree, I am learning to be a penny pincher and have been trying so hard lately so save money, i.e. not step foot in Target, and yet I feel our financial goals are still miles ahead.  Yet every night we eat delicious food, enjoy dates that are cheap but emotionally fulfilling and have yet to want for anything.

I live half a block away from the beach.  Enough said.

We watched Downton Abbey and ate dinner last night with my parents.  Saturday we went to dinner with Ryan's parents and watched a movie.  We can do this any time we want.  Knowing we are so close to our parents is a huge blessing and always makes me very happy to think about.

I have been avoiding hanging pictures and decorating our place out of sheer laziness.  But when I look at the pictures and things friends have given us I don't see more "crap" or one more thing to dust/hang, I see friends, family and all of the people we cherish and it makes me feel loved and so grateful for the time we have spent with them.

Instead of paying our mechanic $800 to fix my car, Ryan bought the part online for hundreds cheaper and had him install the part we bought.  Saved us tons of money and I was never more proud or grateful for a patient and cheap man.


These are just a few of my thoughts today when my hands were in the dirty dishwater and I had to get these thoughts down somewhere before they slipped my mind and I was ungrateful again.  You know that quote, "What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?".  Well, I didn't want God, or anyone else to forget that I am grateful.  I'm grateful for every aspect of my life and wouldn't change a thing.

Though the Florida sun is shining outside, it is the sunshine in my soul I am feeling today.



You Might Also Like

5 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

I'm a Mormon.

Flickr Images